Provision of Accommodations
Procedures for the Provision of Accommodations to Adult Students with Disabilities Who Participate in Adult Education Programs Operated by the Escondido Union High School District
Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, the Escondido Union High School District Adult School shall take all necessary steps to ensure that no student with a verified disability is denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or otherwise subjected to discrimination in an education program because of the absence of academic accommodations or auxiliary aids and services.
- An adult student with a verified disability may be entitled to accommodations or auxiliary aids and services. The decision for the authorization of such accommodation is the responsibility of the Adult School Section 504 Committee after a review of documentation verifying the disability and any resulting educational limitations.
- It is the responsibility of the student to file a written request for accommodation or auxiliary aids and services with the Principal or Assistant Principal of the Adult School. The request should be made on the Adult School form entitled "Request for Services/Accommodations” which may be obtained by contacting the Principal, Brian Head, at 760-737-8003. The student should provide documentation, such as medical, psychological or educational assessments of the impairment and functional limitation. The request should be submitted with adequate notice provided for an effective response.
- The request will be reviewed by the Section 504 Committee. The Committee will promptly evaluate the request and make a determination about accommodations or auxiliary aids and services. Within 7 calendar days of all receipt of all required documents, the Committee will make a determination which will be communicated in writing to the student.
- The Principal or Assistant Principal of the Adult School will be responsible for providing written notice of the approved accommodations or services to the student’s instructors within 3 calendar days of the determination of the Committee.
- If a student disagrees with the initial determination by the Committee, including a determination about the adequacy of documentation required to support an accommodation or auxiliary aids and services, or has other disputes about the provision of accommodations or services, the student may schedule a review meeting with the assistant principal to be held within 5 calendar days of the determination or other disputed action. If the issue is not resolved within 5 calendar days of the review meeting, the student may file a complaint through the District’s Uniform Complaint Procedure described below. This review meeting is optional and the student may choose to directly file a complaint through the District’s Uniform Complaint Procedure.
- A student may file a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability, including a complaint regarding the initial determination by the Committee or other disputes about the provision of accommodations, with the District’s Uniform Complaint Procedure compliance officer as designated by the Governing Board. Such complaints may be made to:
Dr. Olga West
Escondido Union High School District
302 North Midway Dr.
Escondido, CA 92027